Chatbots: the talk of the town
Chatbots are computer programs that are designed to answer questions, perform tasks and conduct textual or auditory conversations with human users.
Since 2016, apps like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger have surpassed social networks in numbers of users. This little factoid illustrates the enormous potential of chatbots: messaging is increasingly becoming the interface through which people not only access content, but also carry out tasks – whether it’s searching for information, scheduling a meeting or buying a pair of shoes.
Most chatbots have basic designs, but some also utilize advanced natural language processing systems and even machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI). Simpler systems scan for keywords or wording patterns and then pull a pre-defined answer from a database. Although they are only as smart as they are programmed to be, even these ‘narrow’ bots can have a big impact on day-to-day business.
the potential of chatbots is huge and will continue to grow
Some applications of chatbots
- E-commerce: Instead of browsing through a website, users can have a conversation with a bot that guides them towards the products that suit their needs. Some chatbots even provide payment services, making the customer experience extra smooth.
- Marketing: Chatbots are the perfect channels for personalized content distribution. Companies are already using chatbots to interact with their customers and drive engagement.
- Customer service: Chatbots are online 24/7 and provide a quick interface for resolving your customers’ questions. Replying to FAQs or providing timely information is easy-peasy for a chatbot.
- Data gathering: Chatbots provide information for your customers, but will also help you gather useful insights about the questions your customers have or the hurdles they face during their customer journey.
- Productivity: Often used as personal assistants, productivity chatbots can keep employees on track with their goals and assist them in getting things done.
- Work automation: Chatbots have the ability to automate simple manual tasks like scheduling a meeting or entering information into a database. Not only will they do it faster, they will also make fewer mistakes. Within an HR department for instance, more than half of all inquiries received are routine questions about sick leave, holidays, payments, etc. It’s perfectly feasible for a chatbot application to answer these routine administrative questions and perform simple transactions.
Some experts believe that chatbots may someday replace websites and mobile apps altogether. Although that probably won’t happen in the next few years, conversational interfaces are poised to cause major disruption in a variety of industries. In order to unlock business value, companies should begin exploring the many opportunities that chatbots have to offer.
chat windows will become the ultimate interfaces for seeking information and carrying out tasks
How delaware can help
- Thanks to a thorough understanding of industries and corporate processes, delaware can assist you in defining chatbot applications with realistic growth opportunities.
- At delaware, we live and breathe the integration of business flows with data. Our extensive track record as a systems integrator is a meaningful asset in building chatbot applications on top of existing data flows and diverse communication infrastructures.
- We have the scale, the expertise and the hands-on skills to set up experiments or implement chatbot technology through actionable roadmaps.
- Our experience in a wide range of industries allows us to both inspire you and guide you through complex business transformations that go beyond chatbots.